About DR LIZ DAWES-HIGGS
Dr Liz Dawes-Higgs is a highly educated and passionate Dermatologist. As a business leader she has established a busy dermatology practice in Northbridge, Sydney, and as an educator she currently teaches and mentors students through the Australasian College of Dermatologists and Concord Hospital. She is a State and National Examiner for the Australasian College of Dermatologists and since May 2017 has taken on the role of NSW State Examiner on the National Examiners Committee for the Australasian College of Dermatologists.
Dr Liz’s research and professional knowledge has been widely published and in 2004 she received the Scheering-Plough Award for her laboratory-based research. She is frequently asked for comments in the popular media such as radio 2UE and the Sydney Morning Herald. She has regular contributions in Women’s Health Magazine as their Beauty Advisor.
Dr Liz has been awarded a Doctor of Philosophy from The University of Sydney. Her research involved studying the biomechanical properties of skin which allowed her to become the co-inventor of a device for examining the elastic properties of skin.
As an Australian medical professional, Dr Liz has travelled as a volunteer to The Cook Islands where she worked as a doctor, and to Nepal where she built a house for a widow and her family. During her visits she has cared for children and local residents, many of which did not have a regular doctor, and learning how isolated some communities are.
Areas of Specialty
Dr Liz has a special interest in Women’s skin health and ageing. She runs a female genital dermatology clinic at Concord Hospital and Northern Sydney Dermatology and is a lecturer in Vulval Dermatology for the Sexual Health & Family Planning Association.
In 2017 at the 50th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australasian College of Dermatologists Dr Liz gave several presentations, two of which related to female genital dermatology and one more specifically looked at the classifications of vulval squamous intraepithelial lesions.
Dr Liz also has a special interest in cosmetic dermatology. She is highly sought after for her work with soft tissue fillers for facial rejuvenation, treating celebrities and everyday individuals, as she is well known in the industry for creating a natural look - that look you want when you don’t want to look done. She has also lectured in rejuvenation techniques at various conferences and meetings, such as the ACD 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting where she gave a presentation on Dermal fillers.
She also performs laser techniques, used in the treatment of scarring, particularly burns scars, as well as acne, pigmentation, rosacea, veins and wrinkles. Improving the skins health, texture and tone.
Currently, Dr Liz is working on advanced techniques using soft tissue fillers for the liquid lift, a non-surgical procedure for reducing jowls and resculpting the cheek bones, a look similar to when a makeup artist applies blusher and highlights.
Qualifications & Memberships
- MB BS BSc(Med) – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery obtained from the University of NSW in 1996
- BE (Mech) – Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Biomechanical Engineering in 1989
- PhD – Doctor of Philosophy in Medicine from the University of Sydney in 2007
- FACD – Fellow of the Australasian College of Dermatologists in 2006. Awarded after completing a 5-year Australasian College of Dermatologists Training Program.
- Member of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Member of the Australasian Society of Cosmetic Dermatology
- Member of the International Academy of Cosmetic Dermatology
- Member of the International Society for the Study of Vulvar Disease
- Member of the Australian and New Zealand Vulvovaginal Society